What’s World Toilet Day?
An initiative developed by the United Nations (UN), World Toilet Day is designed to bring attention to a problem which many people in Canada (and maybe even around the world) may not be aware of:
- 2.5 billion people on Earth don’t have access to proper sanitation services
Safe sanitation needs to be available wherever water is being used, including:
- Drinking fountains
- Schools and hospitals
The dangers of not having access to safe toilets
In Canada, we don’t have to think twice about finding a safe toilet to use.
Chances are there’s a safe toilet (or bathtub for that matter) within 25 feet of where you’re sitting right now.
But in underdeveloped areas of the world, a clean, working toilet can be the difference between life and death.
- Proper toilets can instantly save the lives of 200,000 children all over the world
- Countries without access to toilets also suffer the high rates of child deaths, malnutrition and poverty
- Over 1 billion people go to the washroom in the open due to the lack of proper toilets
Going to the washroom in the open can lead to such health issues as:
Plus not having a safe place to use the toilet results in low self-esteem or education and – in some instances – higher levels of sexual assault against women who are using wide-open spaces as a washroom.
Did you know?
Living in Canada, it may be hard to fathom not having access to a clean toilet or safe bathroom.
However, that’s the day-to-day reality for many parts of the world.
Take a look at these numbers when it comes to the importance of – and access to – clean, working toilets:
- 35% of the world does not have access to decent sanitation
- Hundreds of millions of people do not have soap and water to wash their hands
- 1.8 billion people drink water that’s contaminated with toilet waste
- More people have smartphones (approx 6 billion) than toilet accessibility (approx 4.5 billion)
- In the past 200 years, toilets have increased human life expectancy by 20 years
One last question
What would you do if you didn’t have access to a toilet whenever you needed it?
At Bath Planet of Toronto, we believe everyone should have a clean, safe and functional toilet.
If that isn’t yours – of if you’ve been thinking about updating your bathroom in general, contact us for a FREE in-home consultation.
A Bath Planet design expert will come to you to discuss your bathroom renovation needs.